The American Dental Association (ADA) recommends regular dental visits at intervals “determined” by a dentist. Researchers have noted that preventative dental visits are closely tied with rates of tooth loss. Dr. Matthew L. Bridges offers routine dental checkups and cleanings in Duncan, OK. Formerly Schreiner Family Dentistry, the Chisholm Trail Smile Center has been serving our community for generations. If it has been several months or multiple years since your last dental exam and cleaning, it is never too late to enjoy the oral health benefits offered through our clinic.
How Often Do I Need Dental Visits?
Each patient has unique oral health needs, so the frequency of these visits can vary for person to person. Most patients see the dentist every six months, although some may need more frequent cleanings if they are prone to certain issues, such as periodontal disease. Most dental insurance plans cover the cost of biannual visits.
Factors that Dr. Bridges will consider when scheduling the frequency of your exams or cleanings may include:
- Severity of periodontitis (gum disease)
- Frequency of past dental visits
- Restorative treatments the patient has undergone in the past
- Restorative or cosmetic treatments that are being considered
What Are the Benefits of Regular Dental Visits?
- Prevention of dental problems: Prevention is always preferable to treatment. Dental exams and cleanings can address a wide range of dental problems before they develop. If you do have gum disease, cleanings can reverse the spread of harmful periodontitis. By removing plaque and food build-up, you can lower the risk of developing cavities. Oral cancer screenings are another potentially life-saving exam that can be performed quickly and for little cost.
- Brighter smile: You don’t have to undergo cosmetic treatments like teeth whitening to enjoy the benefits of a brighter smile. Cleanings can remove buildup. One final step of the process involves polishing the front row of teeth for an even whiter smile.
- No more bad breath: Cleanings can address bad breath. There are many causes of foul-smelling breath. During your exam, Dr. Bridges will be able to explain some of the potential causes while prescribing treatments or remedies.
- Boosted self-confidence: If you suffer from tooth pain or gum disease, you know how insecure that can leave you feeling. Once your dental problems have been treated, you can enjoy the peace of mind that comes with knowing you are in good oral health.
- Improved overall health: Endocarditis (heart infection), heart disease, and stroke have all been linked to gum disease. Research continues, but the current consensus points to bacteria entering the bloodstream through infected gums as one potential cause of these ailments.
- Lower overall treatment costs: Dental implants, dentures, and other restorative treatments can cost thousands of dollars. The need for many of these procedures can be prevented with regular dental visits.
What Preventative Treatments Are Offered at Chisholm Trail Smile Center?
- Routine Examinations
- Regular Cleanings
- Patient Education
- Dental Sealants
- Fluoride Treatments
- Custom Mouth Guards
- Digital X-rays
- Oral Cancer Screening
Contact Our Office Today!
It’s never too late to address dental problems. If you are interested in learning more about treatments in preventative dentistry, schedule an appointment with Dr. Bridges. Contact Chisholm Trail Smile Center online, or call our office at (580) 255-4880.