Dr. Matthew L. Bridges offers both in-office and take-home professional teeth whitening treatments at Chisholm Trail Smile Center serving Duncan, OK.
Brighten Your Smile with Professional Teeth Whitening
Even the most diligent patients may wish to lighten the shade of their natural teeth. Several factors can contribute to tooth discoloration, including our diet and varying environmental elements. Safe and effective, professional teeth whitening is an excellent way to rejuvenate your appearance and give you a boost in confidence. At Chisholm Trail Smile Center in Duncan, OK, Dr. Matthew L. Bridges offers both in-office and take-home whitening treatments to give you a dazzling new smile.
How Does Professional Teeth Whitening Work?
Professional teeth whitening is performed with the use of a hydrogen peroxide gel, which effectively lightens the color of your natural teeth by several shades. The oxygen deeply penetrates the teeth, and the peroxide gel destroys the bonds between the stains for a dramatic result.
It is important to note that cosmetic treatments such as teeth whitening should only be performed when you have healthy teeth and gums. If you have decay, periodontal disease, or other time-sensitive dental issues, those should be addressed first.
Types of Dental Staining
Professional teeth whitening is extremely successful when treating certain dental discoloration. To know whether a whitening procedure will help you achieve your goals, it is important to know the difference between the two types of dental stains. These include:
- Extrinsic: Our modern diet consists of many foods and beverages that stain the teeth, such as food dye, red wine, cola, tea, and coffee. These products cause discoloration of the external layers of the teeth. Extrinsic staining responds exceptionally well to professional teeth whitening.
- Intrinsic: Affecting the internal layers of the tooth structure, intrinsic stains are caused by genetic factors or by certain medications such as tetracycline. Unfortunately, these types of stains do not respond to professional teeth whitening. If you have intrinsic staining, you may be better suited for crowns or veneers.
In-Office Teeth Whitening
At Chisholm Trail Smile Center, we offer Zoom!® in-office teeth whitening, which can lighten the shade of your natural teeth by up to eight shades. Completed in just under one hour, this treatment is one of the fastest ways to dramatically brighten your smile. This method is performed by one of our trained dental professionals, and is light-activated for an optimal outcome. In-office teeth whitening is an excellent choice for busy patients who prefer an immediate result.
Take-Home Teeth Whitening
Patients who wish to lighten their teeth at their convenience or in the privacy of their homes can benefit from take-home teeth whitening. In our practice, we offer Opalescence® by Ultradent. Because the peroxide gel has a lower concentration than our in-office treatment, it takes several sessions to achieve the desired brightness. However, the end result is just as dramatic and effective as our in-office whitening method.
If you choose to use a take-home kit, Dr. Bridges will fabricate a custom bleaching tray for you. When you are ready to begin the process, you will place the peroxide gel in the tray, and place it in your mouth. Typically, you will wear your tray for 15 minutes to one hour per day for about two weeks.
Benefits of Professional Teeth Whitening
Professional teeth whitening can make you look and feel young again. Both in-office and take-home bleaching options provide dramatic results. Advantages include:
- Improved Confidence: People notice when you look and feel your best. Having a brilliant, dazzling smile can increase your self-esteem and improve your quality of life.
- Fast Results: Professional teeth whitening offers quick results. In-office teeth whitening offers instant gratification, with dramatic results in under one hour. At-home whitening can lighten your teeth in as little as two weeks.
- Safe and Effective: Although some patients may experience slight tooth and gum sensitivity, professional teeth whitening has been proven safe and effective. The methods used at Chisholm Trail Smile Center have been approved by the American Dental Association.
Schedule an Appointment
If you would like to brighten your smile, schedule a consultation with Dr. Bridges to find out what options are right for you. Contact us online or call our office at (580) 255-4880.